Wednesday, May 6, 2009

On Lemontree Reef in Rincon Puerto Rico



Yesterday, was magnificent. The water was calm, almost lake-like which is pretty typical at this time of year. The water has remained quite calm for at least several days and so the visibility in the water is, for so close ito shore, spectacular. I decided to grab my mask, fins and snorkel... and of course my trusty Oly 350, in its housing and see what I could do photographically as a snorkeler on Lemontree Reef. As one guest remarked to me yesterday... it was her dream to walk out of her door and snorkel on a reef. Here we can do that. As you might tell from the above picture it was flat calm. The water was warm and refreshing. I swam out to the rocky reef just to the right of the Lemontree and then swam to the left to a secondary rocky outcropping.



We do have sea fans on Lemontree Reef. This image converted to B/W makes it look like an abyss is below. However the depth was no greater than 10 feet. Its just that when you shoot with a wide angle lens distance is somewhat distorted. At any rate I thought that my outing needed a bit of deep sea drama... so here it is. Several guests reported yesterday that they saw octopi moving about on the bottom... which I did not see but the habitat is just right for them.



This is what mostly one can readily see. We were well stocked with reef fish... large schools, as a matter of fact. I was out for about an hour. Just enough time to enjoy myself without getting tired. I kept the pace very moderate and enjoyed the photography and just being on the water. Being able to do this is really a gift.

1 comment:

Elliot "Crash" Davis said...

Hey, that is a great idea. I've always wanted to see LemonTree Reef like that.