Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Avocados in Puerto Rico

This is an avocado that Marilyn, Lemontree's assistant manager and housekeeper, brought to me from a tree in her backyard! She knows I love avocado and I was thrilled when I saw this one. I photographed it on the dinner plate to give you a good idea of its size. We have avocados here in Rincon, PR from mid July through November and there are so many different varieties, we have had great fun trying them all. They each seem to ripen a little differently and the size of the seeds varies greatly too.


I decided to try and cut this avocado as close to the seed as I could and from the photograph below you can see I rather succeeded. The seed is just poking through the left side. The seed was actually small, only about 2 1/2 inches and narrow in diameter so there was a lot of avocado to eat!


Now, I bet you never thought of avocado slices quite like this. The smaller half at the bottom of the photograph was all solid avocado "meat." The larger half had about four inches of solid meat. You can see the seed poking out of the larger half of the avocado (look in the middle of the plate).

The slices fit just perfectly on a sandwich and were easy to cut up for salad. I did some research on avocados and found that they are very, very healthy for us. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado...the health benefits section. Hooray...we can eat lots of them! Our favorite way to eat them is either in salad and sandwiches or just mashed up with a squeeze of limon and spread on crackers or as a dip. You might like to see this recipe site though if you are more active in the kitchen, http://www.avocadorecipes.net/..................Yum, yum.

1 comment:

Mark Keppler said...

I prefer mine to be made into guacamole with a bit of seasoning, sour cream, and tomato. But, that's just me and my American sensibility.