Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dominoes, in the Square, Rincon, Puerto Rico



This is a photograph I made one night in the town square in Rincon. This is the ongoing... domino game that men play day and night, rain and shine, in the center of Rincon in the town square. These guys are good. They are fast and, though the stakes are low, will clean your clock.

Dominoes is popular through out Latin America and it is also true here. Check out this strategy guide for some tips. A thousand years ago, I lived on and off for three years in the Republic of Panama. I acquired a taste for the game there... although I was never a good counter, I did manage to be able to hold my "bones" in one hand without having them flying around the room. The game is played with some gusto... banging the piece down on the table... for instance. Now its not always played this way... I'm just saying... be ready. In the photograph, the guys standing around the table are watching and NO talking, no pointing, no gesturing, no faces ... be completely still. This is THE game.

No comments: