Tuesday, January 13, 2009

On the Beach at Night, Alone. (Puerto Rico)


Last night I went for a walk on the beach... alone... but for my camera and made this photograph. I titled it, "Five Posts."

I left the Lemontree just before sunset and stayed on the seashore, photographing, watching, experiencing the night fall on the sea. As I watched and waited, I recalled a couple of poems by Walt Whitman... one of which is the same as the title of this entry. I looked up the first lines of the poem which go:

"ON the beach at night alone,
As the old mother sways her to and fro, singing her husky song,
As I watch the bright stars shining—I think a thought of the clef of the universes, and of
the future."


You can read the entire poem here.

I may not have thought of the clef of the universe but the walk back in the dark... with the tide rising... and dinner waiting, was cleansing. The beach was deserted. A soft breeze rustled a the leaves of the trees along the shore and it was if they were coming along home with me like a faithful dog keeping his master company. The stillness of the night, the sound of the heartbeat of the sea, the feel of the cool, the night air... and then, I was home.

No comments: