Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bust'en the bongo in San Juan, Puerto Rico


OK I'll break my silence. I think readers of this blog know that Bella Jane is a musician, and plays the Tiple and Cuatro. Both of these are typical instruments of Puerto Rico. She also plays in a small workshop on Saturdays. Now those that may know me understand that I don't have much of a musical background but her group was in need of a percussionist and so I committed myself to learning the bongo. I go to class each Saturday and practice with "discipline" and "force" each day.

As a new player I am learning the basic martillo (hammer) which is a foundation beat... and can be heard in tunes like Oye Como Va by Santana and before him Tito Puente. Here is a link to a video which shows the basic martillo.

I made the photograph above at the graduation day recital for Bella Jane which is blogged here. The master remembered my making the photograph and asked me a couple of days ago if I would give him a copy... which I am delighted to do.

1 comment:

nilesh said...

http://bollywoodmoviesformobile.blogspot.com/