Thursday, February 12, 2009

Down the beach, Puerto Rico


A couple of days ago I was out walking in the morning just down the beach from the Lemontree. As I was coming back I saw this fine little fellow digging happily in the sand. I took a few shots and he saw me... got up and we had a nice conversation. True, it was a bit one sided. He did not speak to me in English and my Spanish was just enough to ascertain that he lived (or was staying) at one of the houses just behind where he was digging. I suppose seeing an old(er) North American walking on the beach with a camera is a pretty common site... yet I was struck with how open he was... not a trace of reserve or fear. Actually seeing him dig reminded me of my own time as a child on the beach as well as bringing to mind seeing my own children lost in play... hands covered with sand... sitting in the water... letting it lap up on their feet. Perhaps a reminder of what being in the moment really is about.

No comments: