Monday, February 16, 2009

Cats of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico


One more post from our recent trip to the Capital. Old San Juan is the home to many semi-feral domestic cats. You will see them, especially at night on the walk below El Moro and in the western parts of the city. They are fed by residents who leave dry food and water out for them. They mostly avoid people but occasionally one will approach. They seem to be territorial and if you frequent certain streets you most defiantly will see the same cats there.

If you drop "cats of old san juan" into Google you will get an eyeful. Flicker streams of photos, a Calendar of OSJ Cats, a book available from the Save a Gato organization... and plenty of politics which pit the tourism folks against the animal rights groups.

From my perspective I like them... I like to see them. I guess I'm in the camp that says its better to neuter and return them rather than to "transport" them.

I made the photograph above using a 135mm telephoto lens. I can't resist a cute cat.

No comments: