Thursday, November 20, 2008

Living by the sea



At the Lemontree one lives by the sea. You awake and go to sleep to the sounds and sights of the waves. Bella Jane and I have been discussing what it means to "live by the sea," and from those discussions, we began a "seaside" project. We decided to write guests of the Lemontree as members of a community of individuals who chose to spend time by the ocean. We asked them to participate in our new endeavor by sharing the feelings or moods that the seaside experience evokes. From time to time in this blog we will share some of the responses.

The following poem was provided by a guest who is a college professor. As a mature woman, with a husband who was disabled by a stroke, she and her husband and two caregivers spent time with us by the sea.

Untitled

As I pick up sea glass, its jagged edges smoothed and rounded by the ocean,

I feel the waves doing the same thing for me.

I feel less sharp, less ragged, less harried.

My perspective enlarges with the horizon, my soul and body seem more in synchrony, and I leave the water feeling clean and refreshed.

No comments: